It has been short-lived to say the least. That is, this experiment called “America”. America is experiencing decline. A young nation like ours should be on the grow and go, yet we are not. There is plenty empirical evidence coming from the culture that reminds all of us that we are watching a great nation move swiftly into a decline.
What are the cultural clues that we are in decline as a nation?
1) The love of luxury. Becoming addicted to affluence is expensive and deadly.
2) Widening gap between the very rich and the very poor. A dwindling middle class leads to class warfare.
3) Obsession with sex. The greatest internet interest in the world is pornography.
4) Freakishness in the arts. Modern artists want to shock people rather than inspire them.
5) The desire to become a “welfare” State. We need to put good tax-paying citizens back to work.
The five points listed above come from Gibbon’s The Rise and Fall of Rome. Each of these are the reasons he cites for why Rome fell so utterly after 2000 years of world domination.
We must learn from history or we are doomed to repeat it.
Pray for the nation! This is the National Day of Prayer!
“Father God, in the name of Jesus reverse the decline. Cleanse us by the blood and give us a new heart and a new spirit so we can reach this nation with the message and ministry of the gospel. We expect souls to be brought into the kingdom of God because of what You will do by your Spirit and through your people in this nation. We praise You for your mighty works and for raising up a holy nation. Amen”.